Sunday , October 2 2022

Football: Borussia Dortmund bus bombs get 14 years imprisonment



[ad_1]

Dortmund, Germany (Reuters) – A German court sentenced a German-Russian man to 14 years behind the tent on Tuesday for a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund football stadium in 2017 as part of a money project.

The defendant, 29, identified by the authorities only as Sergei W., had allowed to put away the road bomb in April 2017, which injured one of the club's players, but said he would earn money instead of hurting or killing someone.

He had been charged with assassinations, which caused serious bodily injury and caused an explosion.

"The deed was carefully planned for a long time," said Judge Peter Windgaetter to the court. The defendant, he admitted, had acted with greed and counted on the possibility that people in the bus could be killed.

The team was heading to the club stadium – Germany's largest with a capacity of 80,000 – for a Champions League match against AS Monaco when the bomb went out.

Spanish defender Marc Bartra and a police were injured and the match was delayed by one day.

The defendant, who looked untouched as the referee sentenced him, has expressed deep regret for the attack saying that he did not intend to hurt anyone and stated that the goal was to trigger a fall in BVB's share price from which he could win.

The judge said he had decided for the attack in October 2016 and tried to mislead investigators by writing false letters from supposed Belgian Islamists claiming responsibility.

Prosecutors who wanted him to be detained for life had claimed that the defendant bought some options on the day of the attack that he could have sold to profit if the stock price had fallen.

In fact, the BVB shares rose after the attack. The club's shares also climbed 2.7 percent on Monday after the club's last victory in the Bundesliga took it to the top of the German table.

Both sides left the opportunity to appeal.

(Writing by Madeline Chambers, Editing Mark Heinrich)

[ad_2]
Source link