Friday , October 7 2022

Arrestation in the senior's murder – BC News



[ad_1]

Const. Scarecrow will be stuck for a while.

Coquitlam RCMP rewards Const. Scarecrow with an extended contract for a good job job. The pilot project for a traffic safety officer with a sizeable metallaffic has exceeded expectations and has slowed down speed drivers more efficiently than originally expected.

Since its launch on September 18, the RCMP has monitored its impact using BlackCat's speed monitoring system.

"Perhaps the biggest surprise so far is that even after two weeks in one place, people still dropped in the presence of Const. Scarecrow," Cpl. Michael McLaughlin. "The number of drivers over 10 km / h above the speed limit was half as compared to before Const. Scarecrow was installed."

Now that Constable Scarecrow proves its mettle, the project has been extended for a year. Early indications are Const. Scarecrow accepts his contract extension.

Part of his benefits are upgraded, heavier gauge steel and more realistic, safer features such as reflective tape matching the tape on his police uniform.

"We're excited to see Constable Scarecrow get so much respect, but we understand that not everyone is on his side," said McLaughlin. "We assign more supervisors to support Const Scarecrow. He is a man in few words, and his more action-oriented colleagues are much more likely to write tickets to people who still choose to fast."

133593

Two Nanaimo seniors were tied up, beaten and robbed in a violent home invasion, Tuesday.

Three men entered the couple's home through a sliding door about 4 a.m.

The intruders struck a male resident in the head with a blunt object before binding the man and the woman with belts, CTV News reports. Then they searched the house for 20 minutes, stealing a number of items, along with the couple's car.

The woman eventually managed to free himself and ran next to get help. Paramedics took the man to a hospital, where he was treated for lacerations in his head.

The police believe that invaders may have targeted the home in a case of wrong identity.

"Based on conversations with the victim and some things they suspected, it was a targeted event – but they got the wrong house," RCMP Sgt. Gary & Brien told CTV.

The police are seeking public help to identify the attacks.

"We expect quick success on this because there is a standard that you do not cross," says Brien. "You do not use the older ones."

Friend Mike Gogo has even offered a $ 5,000 reward for information that leads to a detention.

– with files from CTV Vancouver Island


November 27, 2018 / 4:38 pm | Story:
243053

The death of a man at Vancouver International Airport is added to mental health problems with a RCMP officer who had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, says a psychologist.

Georgia Nemetz told a hearer's preliminary investigation in Burnaby Tuesday that Pierre Lemaitre was haunted by scary stressors at work including the murder of a young woman who had screamed for help. But she said that Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski, following a confrontation with Mounties in October 2007, was driving his depression.

Nemetz said she started treating Lemaitre 2009, but the "incredibly private, incredibly proud man" initially did not trust her and was worried that she could reveal what he told the RCMP.

She said that Lemaitre believed that he could lose his job saying that he had physically abused his wife.

Sheila Lemaitre has tested her husband, a 28-year-old veteran and former media spokesman, became violent and had a "rage in his head and burned his brain" after trying to fail to get the RCMP to correct the wrong information he had given the public about What happened to Dziekanski at the airport.

Nemetz, who last saw Lemaitre three days before his death with suicide on July 29, 2013, makes critical event statements to the RCMP.

She said that more debriefings are given to members since the former Sergeant's death but even more needs to be done for officers.

"I do not think everything done is made equal to each breakdown, and each department is different," she said.

"It's not a normal job and people who go in should not expect them to have a normal life and they should not expect their normal handling ability to protect them."

135337


November 27, 2018 / 4:32 pm | Story:
243052

Premier John Horgan says he wishes that the last week of the events of B.C.'s legislators had developed differently, but it has not diminished his confidence in President Darryl Plecas.

Horgan says he believes Plecas will continue to perform his duties despite the disturbing events that resulted in two senior officials in the legislator being left in connection with an RCMP investigation.

The premier says he has confidence in Pleka's actions over the past week and proposes patience when the police conducts his investigation with the help of two special prosecutors.

Opposition Liberals say Plecas appears to be an empire building after revealing that he was trying to get his special adviser Alan Mullen appointed a serving argeant after Gary Lenz was placed on administrative leave together with the clerk of the house Craig James.

Lenz and James say they have not yet heard of the allegations they face and they have hired a lawyer who demands them to be reinstated while the police investigation is proceeding.

Horgan made his comments at a press conference, as the legislature's fall period ends today.

UPDATE: 4:20 p.m.

The police say that a targeted shot in Surrey does not seem to have any links with an ongoing gang dispute.

CPL. Frank Jang from the integrated assassination assassination assassination said 41-year-old Ranjeev Sangha was killed just before dinner on Monday in a "brazen" and "ruthless" shooting.

Jang says that Sangha was not known to police, and a motivation for shooting is unclear.

"We bind to find out why exactly someone would want to hurt him, why someone would like to shoot him and why someone would want him to die," he added.

– The Canadian press


ORIGINAL: 12:40 p.m.

Police have identified victims of a shooting death in Surrey on Monday.

The Integrated Assassination Survey Team says Ranjeev Sangha, 41, was pronounced dead at the scene, and the kills fled the 5400 block of 146th Street in a black lighthouse sedan.

About an hour later, the vehicle was found burning off Cambie Road in Richmond.

Detectives want to talk with someone with dash cam video of the drivers, traveling between Surrey and Richmond along Highway 99 or Highway 91 between 11:46 and 12:49 p.m.

The police believe that Sangha's death was directed.

"Recovering Ranjeev Sangha's movements before his death will be one of the priorities for our detectives, and we invite all who can help us achieve this end to contact us immediately," said Cpl. Frank Jang.

Those who have information are invited to call IHIT information line at 1-877-551- IHIT (4448), email [email protected] or call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).


| Story:
243048

Vancouver police say they have arrested a 23-year-old man from Surrey in connection with the murder of a 87-year-old woman.

The body of Elizabeth Poulin was found in her apartment this weekend.

The police say that the suspected identity can not be released until charges have been approved by the Crown Council.

They say murder investigators are working to create a motive.

One relative discovered Poulin's death around 8 o'clock on Saturday morning.

Alanna Kelly

UPDATE: 5:15 p.m.

A team of adult ball players at high school was on their way to a provincial championship tournament when their van crashed and left a person critically injured.

School Area No. 57 Superintendent Marilyn Marquis-Forster told Castanet News there were 10 children and two adults in the little white van.

"It's all about us because the British Columbia kids compete and love to compete and we encourage our students to be involved so when something happens, it really happens that we are pausing," says Marquis-Forster.

The vehicle went off the road into a ditch, but she said she was happy to report that there were no deaths.

"We have received reports from those involved that five students are treated in Kamloops Hospital," she said.

Marquis-Forster said the event is extremely valid.

"We have a province with great geography and large distances between centers and we have a very participating school community. Our children travel routinely," she said.

She added her concerns and thoughts are with families and children who are involved.


UPDATE: 3:10 p.m.

The girls volleyball team and the two adults are from Prince George College Heights Secondary. They were heading to a provincial championship in Powell River on Tuesday when water went off Highway 97 near Cache Creek at 12.00.

"Eight patients were transported to hospitals, a patient in critical, life threatening condition," said Emergency Health Services.

There has been no update on condition of the injured at this time.


UPDATE: 1:25 p.m.

Highway 97 in Cache Creek has been reopened after it was soon closed due to a collision with a school bus.


ORIGINAL: 1:15 p.m.

Twelve people were injured in a school bus crash near Cache Creek on Tuesday afternoon.

Emergency Health Services says paramedics called immediately after dinner today.

"Early indications are that all patients are in a stable, life-threatening state," says a spokesman for EHS.

No further information about the ages of patients was provided.

DriveBC reports an event north of Cache Creek has closed Highway 97 near Church Road. It is unclear whether the events are related.

"Waiting for confirmation from our contractors," says DriveBC.

Castanet is updated when more information becomes available.


November 27, 2018 / 12:26 | Story:
243032

Many B.C. The first nations who stayed to stop the wilderness from destroying their communities in 2017 and 2018 are still waiting to be replaced by the provincial and federal governments for hundreds of thousands of dollars in spending.

Initial groups say they can not afford to pay for training and equipment for firefighters before a crisis hits, so they have to take enormous shoulder to protect their homes as flames.

Nadleh Whut & # 39; in Central B.C. are set to meet government officials Wednesday to report a report on their fight to halt the massive Shovel Lake Wildfire this summer.

Chief Larry Nooski says that they spent $ 400,000 on fire fighting equipment, wages for firefighters, an emergency surgery and security, but they have not been refunded by the various responsible authorities.

Bonaparte Indian bands spent $ 600,000 to fight the Elephant Coal in their territory in 2017 and have not been replaced by $ 150,000, partly because their firefighters were not properly certified.

Chief Ryan Day says that his First Nation would have a fully certified firefighter, but it lacks resources and portable debt has a significant impact on essential services for its people.


November 27, 2018 / 11:07 | Story:
243014

The British Columbia insurance company lowers its advertising budget in half and redirects the funds to the police's traffic management.

The lawyer David Eby says that high risk drivers ignore the company's road safety messages.

He says that channeling promotional items directly to execution will give the opportunity to deliver the message directly to risky drivers.

From the next fiscal year, the insurance company will add $ 2.4 million to improve road safety.

The Ministry of Justice says that it will increase the public insurer's investment in direct security traffic programs to $ 24.8 million.

Corporate President Nicolas Jimenez says that the ICBC cost pressure can be traced directly to 350,000 crashes, approximately 960 a day, recorded over B.C. last year.

"With full-time crashes in our province, we are committed to doing what we can to reduce claims costs and ease the pressure on insurance rates," said Jimenez in a press release.

The company says that the 2.4 million dollars remaining in its advertising budget will be spent educating drivers on future changes in the provincial car insurance system.


27 November 2018 / 9:54 | Story:
242999

A Syrian man stranded for seven months at Kuala Lumpur International Airport arrived in Vancouver on Monday night.

Hassan Al Kontar thanked his friends and his lawyer in a video published on Twitter to help him leave Malaysia.

He says he recorded the video at Taiwan's international airport, as he waited for a flight to Vancouver, which he described as his last destination.

In his Twitter account, Al Kontar says that Canadian volunteers gave him hope after submitting an asylum application.

A GoFundMe page prepared for him by Canadian volunteers picked up money for his flight to Canada and living expenses. On the collection page, the 36-year-old was denied a new Syrian passport in 2012 when he worked in the United Arab Emirates and was in charge of military service in his native country, which he refused.

Between 2012 and 2017, he said he was without status in the UAE and lost his job.

On the collection page, he says he went to Malaysia, where the Syrians do not need a visa, in October 2017.

The page says he received a document that allows him to stay in Malaysia for three months, even though he could not work. He tried to fail to leave the country and returned to Kuala Lumpur, where he stayed in the arrival terminal after he passed the visa.

"It was a hard, long journey," he says on the video published on Twitter. "The last 10 months it was very difficult … I could not do it without support and prayers from all of you."


November 27, 2018 / 9:50 am | Story:
242997

A pedestrian has been rushed to a hospital in Victoria as the police say was a serious early morning collision.

Const. Matt Rutherford said in a press release that the above-mentioned man was hit by a camper.

It happened just before 6:30 on Douglas Street, a main route through central Victoria.

Some other details have been released, but Rutherford says the pedestrian has life-threatening injuries.

Officers appeal to witnesses to come forward.

Several blocks of busy Douglas Street were closed by morning speed when the investigation continued.


November 27, 2018 / 7:53 am | Story:
242993

Mayor Doug McCallum says he is "deeply upset" by the city's finances and instructed the staff to start what he calls "pay as you go" system to reduce debt.

McCallum, who served as Surry's mayor between 1999 and 2005, was re-elected in October saying that he was "shaken at the core" when he learned about the red ink on the city books.

He says the current debt amounts to $ 514 million.

McCallum is convinced that the planned payment system can not affect current programs and services across the city.

But he says the council now has to decide how to "be responsible for continuing capital projects."

McCallum wants to see Surrey "act as a regular household" by saving and paying bills that they depend on.

"When I was a mayor for nine years, I took great pride in driving the city's finances by saving first and avoiding debt. The Council and I have agreed to immediately bring in the city's taxpayer in order," McCallum said in a press release.

A budget report prepared by staff will be presented to Surrey's Finance Committee on December 11, and McCallum says that he and the Council will not comment further until they have reviewed that document.

More BC News

[ad_2]
Source link