Wednesday , December 8 2021

The groundbreaking operation to function in pancreatic cancer, one of the most deadly



[ad_1]

Mary José del Valle with two doctors.Copyright for the image
Twitter Vall d 'Hebron

Image Caption

María José del Valle, in the middle, has been relying on radiofrequency pancreatic cancer in Barcelona.

Every day more than 1,200 people worldwide are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which has one of the lowest survival rates for this disease.

But now there may be a breakthrough for the patients.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive. According to the American Cancer Society, at best 5 years of survival is 14%, while in the worst forecasts it is only 1%.

Now Vall de Hebron Hospital in Barcelona (Spain) is testing a groundbreaking technique that can improve the situation. It is called RF and with this procedure they have successfully driven three people.

  • The reason why some cancers are more aggressive than others

These patients suffered from a highly specific type of pancreatic cancer, a locally advanced adenocarcinoma in the pancreas, unusable with traditional technology and whose sole treatment is palliative chemotherapy.

Therefore, radio frequency can be effective as an alternative to palliative chemotherapy in the treatment of pancreatic cancer with a worse prediction.

An innovative technique

This technique consists of introducing a needle that allows to apply temperatures up to 80ºC directly in the tumor zone. High temperature burn the cells.

Copyright for the image
Vall d 'Hebron Hospital

Image Caption

The picture shows a team of surgeons at Hospital Vall d'Hebron (Barcelona) who operates a pancreatic cancer with radio frequency.

The needle also has a cooling system. "In this type of surgery, a cooling system is used that allows for the introduction of coolants that reach areas like duodenum to prevent overheating," explains surgeon Elizabeth Pando, Vall d'Hebron Hospital.

It is a procedure already used in other types of cancer, such as liver, kidney and lung tumors, but has never been applied to pancreatic cancer.

  • How to recognize the symptoms of pancreatic cancer is considered the most aggressive

"Nobody has ever dared to do it, and the studio breaks that barrier," says Pando.

So far, it was considered that radio frequency could not be used in pancreatic cancer because it led to too many risks due to the tumor's location, surrounded by larger arteries and veins.

Copyright for the image
Christopher Furlong / Getty

Image Caption

Up to now, it was considered that radio frequency could not be applied to pancreatic cancer because it caused too many risks due to the tumor's location

If the results are confirmed, this procedure from 2020 or 2021 may be a "good option" for patients in the pancreatic cancer that can not be used.

A complicated forecast

The activity has been carried out in the framework of a study led by the academic medical center in the Netherlands.

The study estimates that approximately 40% of patients have locally advanced pancreatic cancer at the time of diagnosis. The average survival rate in patients with this disease is approximately eight months.

  • Why is pancreatic cancer so aggressive?

One of the causes of the high mortality of pancreatic cancer is that the symptoms it causes are so unspecified that 80% of patients are diagnosed in advanced stages.

Once diagnosed, only 20% of these types of tumors are operative. For the remaining 80%, the only alternative to date is chemotherapy.

"It gave me six months to live"

One of the patients with this method at the hospital Vall d'Hebron is Maria José del Valle, who last week showed doctors in this center to present the results of the first radio frequency interventions.

Copyright for the image
Getty Images

Image Caption

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive.

Mary José, who had been a doctor all his life, was at a friend's house when she realized she had the yellow arm. Following the relevant tests, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

He was invited to participate in the clinical study and at the press conference he said it signed "without reading". He went through two months of chemotherapy before he underwent the innovative surgical procedure. "I knew that survival is low, I gave me six months." Now he is "phenomenal".

  • "I never thought that men can suffer from breast cancer"

Currently, this technique has only been used in patients who were stable after months of chemotherapy.

Even if the doctor asks for caution, they are optimistic. "If it is confirmed that this therapy is effective for locally advanced adenocarcinoma in the pancreas, we will finally get a technique that will enable us to improve the prognosis for this malignant tumor," concludes Dr. Ramón Charco.

  • Do you already know our YouTube channel? Subscribe!
[ad_2]
Source link