Wednesday , September 28 2022

A team of researchers have been swallowing Lego pieces in the name of science



[ad_1]


(Ekaterina79 / Getty)
(Ekaterina79 / Getty)

A team of doctors swallowed Lego pieces to see how long it takes them to pass through the body.

And the results, published in the often more light-hearted December issue of the Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, should be reassuring to parents worried about their children ingesting small toys, according to the researchers.

The six pediatric healthcare professionals from the website Do not Forget The Bubbles, based in the UK and Australia, each swallowed the head of a lego character and measured how long it took for the body to excrete it.

Små leksaker er de to mest svælte blandt børn efter mønter, ifølge forskerne, men relativt lite forskning er gjort på området.

The team came up with two delightfully named measurements for the experiment: the Stool Hardness and Transit (Shat) score, which measured the firmness of stools, and the Found And Retrieved Time (Speed), two track how long it took for the Lego head two passes.

Den gjennomsnittlige Fartresultatet viste sig at være 1,7 dage, selv om en af ​​de seks hoveder var gået og aldrig slået op, på trods af at forskeren i søgningen søgte sine stole for to uger.

None of the team reported any side effects or pain from the experiment, and the Shat scores suggested that consistency of stools was not affected by the presence of the head.

The study concluded: "A toy object passes quickly through adult subjects with no complications. This will reassure parents, and the authors advocate that no parent should be expected to search through their child's faeces to prove object retrieval. "

Ultimately the team acknowledges the study was not "hard science" but just "a bit of fun in the run-up to Xmas".

"Det er viktig, at du ikke ekstrapolerer dataene til hele befolkningen i Lego svælkere", fordi de ikke er børn. "

Researchers were keen to stress that people should not replicate the study at home – and that parents should contact a doctor if they are concerned about anything their child has swallowed.

Press Association

[ad_2]
Source link